1. For M.Sc. students, a stipend of no less than CDN$22K per year is paid. Stipends for PhD students are to be a minimum of $22K, with the expectation that the level paid will be $25K per year. The exact stipend level is subject to negotiation with your supervisor, who is ultimately responsible for the costs of your stipend. However, the maximum amount of funds a student can receive from all sources is $50,000. The Bioinformatics graduate program will give each student a one-time/degree $500 travel award.
2. Students who obtain their own scholarship (either NSERC-CREATE or from an outside source such as CIHR, NSERC, MSFHR, 4YF) are to receive a top-up to their stipend of up to $5000 per year or 25% the value of the scholarship, whichever is less.
3. Students who are awarded the program’s NSERC-CREATE scholarship will be paid a one year stipend to fund their research studies ($22,000 for MSc students and $25,000 for PhD students) and a yearly travel allowance of $500. More information on this scholarship, which includes an internship, can be found at: http://bcbioinformaticsgrad.ca/internship/
4. Students who are paid by their supervisors may be asked to undertake a student teaching assistantship to help supplement their stipend.
Funding available to PhD students through the Graduate Support Initiative (GSI) Fund:
Tuition funding for UBC PhD students: money the program receives through the graduate support initiative fund (GSI) will be divided equally and awarded to all PhD students in year 1-4 of their degree. This is usually approximately $3,500 towards student tuition per year, but will depend on the GSI received by the program and the number of PhD students enrolled in the program.
Once a student has identified a faculty sponsor and has been accepted to the program, they will be eligible to apply for an NSERC-CREATE scholarship. Awardees undertake an internship lasting three months during the summer of their first year. Please see: http://bcbioinformaticsgrad.ca/internship/
UBC Four Year Fellowships (4YF)
All incoming, and first year PhD students will be eligible for this funding. Students must be registered as a PhD student, or transferring to the PhD track at the time of the scholarship award. To be considered for this award, your supervisor must nominate you and the following must be sent to be program coordinator by an April 30 deadline.
- Cover letter from Supervisor indicating why you should be considered for this award
- Transcripts from all Universities attended
- Research proposal outline
- 2 references
Please follow the links below for more information on the 4YF program.
UBC Faculty of Graduate Studies 4YF information:
New University Doctoral Fellowship(UDF) for International Ph.D. students – due Jan 16, 2017
Application procedure for international PhD applicants for Jan, May or Sept 2017, as well as fast-track/transfer from Master’s to Phd program:
- Let program coordinator know the name of the student who wishes to apply.
- Complete the UDF application form on above website.
- Provide two references (scanned either as the UDF reference or free-form) and emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org For new applicants to program, references can be downloaded from application website.
- For fast-track applicants – check to see if program coordinator has set of your transcripts. For new applicants, transcripts can be obtained from application website.
- Deadline for program coordinator to receive application materials is Jan 16, 2017 at 4 pm.
A non-refundable application fee is required for each graduate program to which you apply to the UBC Faculty of Graduate Studies. Application fees cannot be deferred and are valid for only one application year.
Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies
Student Service Centre
Additional information on the graduate program in Bioinformatics can be obtained directly from the Program Coordinator of the Bioinformatics Graduate Program.
Bioinformatics Graduate Program Coordinator
Genome Sciences Centre, BCCA
100-570 West 7th Avenue
Vancouver, BC V5Z 4S6
Tel: (604) 707-5803
Fax: (604) 876-3561
Graduate Program Advisor and Head: Dr. Steven Jones email@example.com
Admin for Dr. Jones: Louise Clarke firstname.lastname@example.org